We mention bill automation frequently (because it makes running a business so much easier, of course). The ones we like the most for this purpose are Receipt Bank and Shoeboxed.
There are currently 17 add-ons in the Xero marketplace that can automate your bills:
- Receipt Bank
- Invoice Smash
- IQBoxy Receipts
- Abukai Expenses
I’m going to talk about the 3 major players here (since I know their product intimately and can safely compare them). These include: Receipt Bank, Shoeboxed and Entryless. (If you would like further information on the others go here.)
Both Receipt Bank and Shoeboxed have been previous “Add-ons of the Year” for Xero. Entryless is included, since it has a free option. (They are also the three most reviewed in the add-on directory.)
So let’s get down to details:
Ok, so that’s quite a list! Let’s break it down to the good, bad and ugly for each program.
- Good – most user-friendly program
- Good – allows for more file types including zip files of documents
- Good – allows for multiple invoices in one PDF
- Good – better turnaround time
- Bad – slightly more expensive than Receipt Bank
- Ugly – you can never get your paper back
- Ugly – additional fee for paper/mail
- Good – returns your mail documents
- Good – cheaper than Receipt Bank
- Bad – extra fee for additional documents (no fair use policy)
- Bad – doesn’t always remember your memorisations of suppliers
- Ugly – no multiple invoice PDF’s
- Good – free level is great
- Bad – turnaround time on free level is up to 5 days
- Ugly – None found yet
So my recommendation? Well, it all depends on your specific needs:
If you want to mail documents and get them back, then Shoeboxed is a smart choice. (While Shoeboxed is good, I prefer the data entry screen in Receipt Bank and become frustrated having to code the same suppliers every time.)
If you don’t want your documents back, then Receipt Bank might be right for you. Receipt Bank is my go-to choice generally. It’s easy to use, the memorisations are great, and I love that invoices automatically flow through to Xero (rather than a link to Shoeboxed).
If you’re simply looking for a free version, then go with Entryless. I found Entryless clunky to use and frustrating because of the time it took to get invoices through (though I was using the free version).
I hope that helps you make a decision. If there is any way the team at The Bookkeeper Hub can assist you make your choice, please email Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org